Early Learning Systems
NAEYC Academy for Early Childhood Program Accreditation
Senior Director, Higher Education Accreditation and Support
NAEYC seeks an effective leader with proven success in accreditation and early childhood higher education or professional development systems. The Senior Director is responsible for directing, leading, and managing NAEYC’s efforts related to the accreditation of early childhood education degree programs in institutions of higher education that lead to an associate, baccalaureate, or advanced degree. The primary focus of this position is to ensure the effective overall functioning of the NAEYC Early Childhood Associate Degree Accreditation (ECADA) system as well as NAEYC’s role as a Specialized Professional Association (SPA) within the Council for Accreditation of Educator Preparation (previously National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education) system. Framed around the NAEYC Standards for Early Childhood Professional Preparation, these systems are designed to support quality assurance and improvement in higher education programs that prepare early childhood professionals. The Senior Director, working collaboratively within the overall NAEYC staff structure, leads a team of approximately 4 people.
Through strong leadership and effective management, the Senior Director:
- Maintains NAEYC higher education accreditation systems as standard-bearers in early childhood professional preparation, reflecting current evidence from research and practice.
- Ensures that NAEYC higher education accreditation systems are rigorous; aligned with best practices as described by the U.S. Department of Education and Council for Higher Education Accreditation; and able to provide a valid and objective external evaluation of eligible degree programs as a service to the public, to prospective students, and to the profession.
- Serves as the ex-officio member of the Commission on Early Childhood Associate Degree Accreditation (ECADA Commission) which is delegated authority by the NAEYC Governing Board to ensure the equity, integrity, and accountability of the ECADA system.
- Works in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders, including NAEYC staff, NAEYC peer reviewers, ECADA Commission members, NAEYC Audit Team members, and representatives from national/local organizations to make NAEYC higher education accreditation systems critical components of state and national professional development systems.
- Strengthens the accreditation systems by continuously evaluating impact and enhancing the accreditation processes, materials, and resources.
- Ensures mission-focused, cost-effective day-to-day operations of NAEYC’s higher education accreditation systems, through supervising and mentoring staff, fiscal management (e.g. developing and monitoring budgets, contract management), planning, and execution.
- Minimum of a Master’s degree in human services management, early childhood education, child development, instructional design, adult learning, education policy, higher education administration, or a related field.
- 5 years of experience in accreditation systems and higher education or professional development systems; at least 3 years with significant supervisory/management responsibility.
- Knowledge of higher education accreditation systems, higher education systems, and/or state professional development systems and their connection to ECE professional preparation
- Knowledge of early childhood education or child development.
- Knowledge of current issues and key stakeholders in the early childhood education field, particularly as they relate to the early childhood workforce.
- Experience in public speaking, developing, and presenting material to a national professional audience, and facilitating group processes.
- Ability to travel.
Salary commensurate with knowledge and experience; excellent benefits. Position is based at the NAEYC headquarters located in Washington, DC.
To Apply: Submit cover letter, resume, and three professional references to SD-HEAS/HR, NAEYC, 1313 L Street, NW, #500, Washington, DC 20005 via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax (202) 328-1846.
NAEYC is seeking a Reliability Manager to support the work of our Accreditation System which administers a national, voluntary, professionally sponsored system to help improve the quality of care and education provided for young children in group programs throughout the US. The Reliability Manager works as a member of the national team overseeing the process of accreditation for early childhood programs.
The Reliability Manager supervises a team of 3-4 Reliability Specialists. Working under the supervision of the Director of Program Standards and Assessment, the Reliability Manager oversees activities supporting the NAEYC’s ability to conduct reliable, valid accreditation site visits. Major tasks include design, development and modification of reliable and valid accreditation tools and processes, and ongoing monitoring their reliable use by NAEYC’s nationwide team of site visit assessors. The Reliability Manager and team collect, compile and analyze data on system performance and use it to inform continuous system improvement.
The Reliability Manager is also responsible for providing training to assessors in the use of assessment tools, and functions as an assessor as well. The Reliability Manager also works as a member of a team that develops and presents informational sessions and print resources about the NAEYC Accreditation system to various stakeholders (programs, assessors, affiliates, other organizations).
A minimum of a BA in Early Childhood Education/Child Development is required; a MA degree is preferred. Three (3) years of experience in the field working with young children in an early childhood program and a sound understanding of its ECE practices is required. Three years supervisory experience leading staff, contractors, and/or volunteers is desirable. Experience with high quality programming and NAEYC accreditation and evaluation systems, or other program quality assessment systems used in educational or early care settings is required. Excellent oral and written communication, analytical, MS Office and database skills are also required. Must be able to meet deadlines, work in a team and in a fast-paced environment. Travel is required.
Salary low $50s with good benefits. Position is based at the NAEYC headquarters located in Washington, DC.
Customer Care Associate (Call Center)
NAEYC is seeking a Call Center Associate for its busy membership and sales department to provide customer service to members, customer, subscribers and others who contact us for information. Duties include data entry, filing, customer contact/follow-up and troubleshooting various membership/sales issues via phone, e-mail, fax and mail.
1-2 years of reception, call center, administrative and customer service experience required. Candidates must be proficient in MSOffice/Windows and have excellent customer service skills. Attention to detail and the ability to multi-task is essential. Applicants who are bilingual in Spanish are preferred.
Salary: $35-37K, with good benefits.
To apply: Send cover letter and resume to HR/CCA, NAEYC, 1313 L St. NW, Suite 500, Washington, DC 20005 or e-mail email@example.com or fax (202) 328-1846.
Senior Creative Design Specialist
NAEYC seeks a Senior Creative Design Specialist to consistently create design solutions with a high visual impact that support the NAEYC brand within established standards, working with the Senior Creative Design Manager for direction, concepts, and execution. In particular, the Specialist will be tasked with implementing new approaches to digital design and publishing at the organization (e.g. web and responsive design, video integration online brand integration).
- Assist in the design layout of the Association’s two magazines, Young Children and Teaching Young Children
- Implement and execute effective graphic design systems and processes that ensure timely completion of high quality products
- Work closely with the Marketing and Web teams to enhance the organizational approach to digital and online publishing
- Play a strategic role in the development of the Association’s print and online media, with an emphasis on new approaches to enhancing NAEYC’s digital presence and digital publishing operation
- Help ensure an efficient day-to-day design and production cycle
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design or related field
- 3 -5 years of design experience that demonstrate a high standard of versatility in design in both digital and print
- Strong knowledge of industry tools including Adobe Creative Cloud CC, namely Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere, Dreamweaver, After Effects, Edge, Flash and Muse
- Strong experience in coding languages (e.g. HTML, CSS, and Drupal) preferred
- Exceptional communication skills as well as current and evolving working experience in digital design (microsites, digital publications, email, web, video, post production)
- Proven track record in delivering products on time and on budget
- Skilled editorial and writing experience
Salary: $50-60K, with excellent benefits and work environment.
To Apply: Submit cover letter, resume, and three professional references as one document.
Information Technology (IT)
NAEYC is seeking a mid-level Systems Administrator. The successful candidate will have a broad array of technologies under his/her belt. A solid background in VMware, Windows Server, Active Directory, SAN, and networking (Cisco) experience. The individual will be expected to learn new systems or support new hardware frequently. The selected candidate will be flexible and be able to adapt to change. The Systems Administrator must be able to communicate effectively with end-users and have the ability to translate complex Information Technology concepts to management and to users. The candidate will report to the Sr. Director of Information Technology, and work in a small high-performing team with the understanding that this position is considered the subject matter expert for the aforementioned vast array of technologies. Because our organization is web-intensive, it is a requirement that this candidate have significant Linux experience, the platform we run our web services on.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- MUST BE PROFICIENT WITH LINUX
- Maintain Active Directory
- Server and client patching
- SQL Server
- Backup & Disaster Recovery
- Support Windows server and Windows 7 systems, OSX, Linux (Suse), networking and WAN / LAN communications
- Configure/maintain routers, firewalls and other network equipment primarily Cisco
- Troubleshoot hardware and software problems; working in conjunction with Tier 1 Help Desk support and outside vendors
- Manage and maintain the organization's web presence consisting of Apache and Drupal running on Linux.
- Update/Maintain virtual environment to ensure High Availability and security for virtual machines
- Assist the organization with the deployment of new systems.
- Provide technical expertise for system transitions, migrations and consolidations with Windows, Linux and VMware platforms
- Apply concept of least privileges and general security best practices across network and data
- Comfortable working as the lead Systems Administrator
- Windows Server 2003/ 2008 / 2012
- Windows 7
- Microsoft Active Directory - Creating user accounts, permissions, GPOs.
- OS X
- Suse Enterprise Linux
- Backup Technologies
- Preferred Google For Enterprise administration
- Configuring and auditing firewall appliances (i.e. Cisco ASA, etc.)
- Site to site VPN technologies, encryptions protocols, and working with mobile end users
- NAS and SAN Technologies
- VMWARE VSphere 5.x or VMWare ESX (i.e. View, Motion, vCenter, VDI, Clustering)
- WAN and LAN design, setup, configuration, and support. Common network services and utilities such as TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP.
- Basic Network Troubleshooting such as latency issues
- Cisco IOS / Cisco ASA
- OS X
- Bachelor's degree in Computer related field or 5+ years’ experience in System Administration
- VMware Certified Professional (VCP)
- Microsoft Certified System Administrator (MCSA)
- Cisco Certified Network Administrator (CCNA)
- Linux +
- Security +
Salary: 75k plus, with excellent benefits and work environment.
To Apply: Submit cover letter, resume, and three professional references as one document.
Freelance Copy Editors
NAEYC is looking for wordsmiths to copyedit early childhood education materials—journal articles, reports, and other early childhood projects—using Microsoft Word. Editors will follow The Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition), Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary (11th edition), and an in-house editorial style guide and glossary of terms. Documentation is in author-date format (CMS, chap. 15). Familiarity with early childhood education is a plus. Work can be performed on or off-site.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to HR/CCA, NAEYC, 1313 L St. NW, Suite 500, Washington, DC 20005 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or fax (202) 328-1846.
Finance and Operations
Staff Accountant – Accounts Payable
NAEYC seeks a Staff Accountant/Accounts Payable Specialist who will be responsible for processing and reconciling accounts payables, and for recording cash receipts deposited by the Finance Department. The position reports to the Director of Accounting and supports the accounts payable and accounts receivable functions.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Process vendor invoices for accounts payable on a weekly basis
- Process selected bank transactions in accounts payable and accounts receivable
- Maintain vendor cards in the accounting system
- Reconcile accounts payable detail to the general ledger at least monthly
- Maintain files for all invoices and payables check remittance copies
- Prepare state sales tax returns and IRS Form 1099 filings
- Serve as back-up to maintain petty cash on a daily basis and to reconcile petty cash on a monthly basis
- Limited travel may be required
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field a plus
- 2-5 years of relevant accounting experience
- Experience with Great Plains a plus
- Association experience a plus
- Strong knowledge and experience in Excel and Outlook
- Must be detail-oriented, accurate, and organized
Salary: $45-55K, with excellent benefits and work environment. Background check, credit check, and degree verification is required.
To Apply: Submit cover letter, resume, and three professional references to SAAP/HR, NAEYC, 1313 L Street, NW, #500, Washington, DC 20005 via e-mail to email@example.com or fax (202) 328-1846 by June 26th.
Member Engagement, Brand Advancement & Professional Learning
Senior Director, Content Strategy and Development
NAEYC seeks an experienced Senior Director of Content Strategy and Development to lead the development of content initiatives in all forms, print and digital, both external and internal, to drive membership engagement, retention, revenue and positive brand visibility. This individual is well versed in early childhood development, as well as content organization and management, channel optimization, brand consistency, segmentation and localization, analytics and meaningful measurement.
Internally, the Senior Director oversees the conceptualization, development and implementation of content produced by NAEYC’s publishing, digital and professional development teams. The Senior Director will be highly effective in managing a large team, ensuring integrity and accountability in every member’s performance, and constant professional growth opportunities for all. The Senior Director also ensures opportunities for close collaboration with other relevant departments (Academy, ECADA, the international team, Creative Design, Marketing, and others) to ensure content developed is appropriately curated and delivered to target audiences served by other departments.
Externally, the Senior Director ensures acquired content or content co-developed through partnerships meets NAEYC quality standards and is well leveraged to reach and engage new audiences. Further, the Senior Director ensures all content strategies increase the value of the membership experience and are closely aligned with the NAEYC Strategic Direction.
Specifically the Senior Director directs:
- The editorial and business operations of NAEYC publications (including YC, TYC, and the book publishing team) to ensure peer reviewed, research based content is of the highest quality and is timely and relevant for specific audiences.
- The digital strategy team, as they recognize and capitalize on opportunities to develop and share content via print, web, app, and other emerging channels, in addition to supporting a major redesign and development project for a new NAEYC Web presence and the implementation of a new Digital NAEYC.
- The professional development team as they look to build a new framework for identifying, curating and sharing all professional development content at NAEYC with various audiences and members, in addition to building and implementing new resources and a digital badging system to recognize skills, competencies and levels of engagement with NAEYC.
This position reports to the Deputy Executive Director for Membership Engagement, Brand Advancement & Professional Learning.
- Broad knowledge of early childhood field, current issues, and professional development needs and strategies.
- Knowledge of all facets of print and digital publishing process. Ability to work collaboratively with editorial staff, authors, reviewers, creative designers, marketing and sales professionals, and others.
- Creativity, imagination, innovation, and problem solving skills.
- Strong experience in multichannel content creation (publishing, journalism, etc.).
- Experience with creating compelling messages for different target demographics.
- Expertise in all major business software applications (Microsoft Office, etc.).
- HR-related experience including hiring, managing, performance reviews, etc. required.
- Bachelor's degree. MBA or other Master’s degree a plus.
Salary commensurate with experience, with excellent benefits and work environment.
To Apply: Submit cover letter, resume, work samples and three professional references as one document to SDCSD/HR, NAEYC, 1313 L Street, NW, #500, Washington, DC 20005 via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax (202) 328-1846 by June 30th.