NAEYC is piloting an optional program that allows currently accredited programs to pursue accreditation for the school-age component of their program. Eligible programs may submit the School-Age Accreditation Request Form to have the school-age component of their program assessed by NAEYC.
|School-Age Accreditation Request Form|
|Additional Copies of Group Information|
NAEYC-Accredited programs approaching Renewal may pursue School-Age Accreditation simultaneously. Follow the instructions on p. 11 of the School Age Accreditation Request Form to request a School Age visit along with your program’s Renewal visit and receive a $300 discount on the School Age Accreditation fee.
Eligibility Requirements for Pilot:
Only a program with a current five-year term of NAEYC Accreditation of Programs for Young Children may participate in the School-Age Accreditation Pilot.
Any NAEYC-Accredited program is eligible to participate in the School-Age Accreditation Pilot if it has one or more groups that serve school-age children that are eligible to be assessed by NAEYC. In order to be assessed by NAEYC, both of the following conditions must be true.
- The group including school-age children operate before- and/or after-school.
- The majority of the children in the group(s) including school-age children are age 8 or younger
School-Age Accreditation Visit:
The visit for School-Age Accreditation will include an assessment of randomly selected group(s) that includes school-age children. Groups will be assessed though observation using the universal criteria and potentially a subset of kindergarten criteria.
- If all assessed groups meet at least 70% of the criteria assessed, the program’s NAEYC Accreditation will be expanded to include school-age children. To reflect this, the program’s NAEYC Accreditation Certificate will be modified.
- If all assessed groups do not meet at least 70% of the criteria assessed, the program’s NAEYC Accreditation will be maintained but will not include the program’s school-age children.
- If a program receiving a Renewal and School-Age Combo Visit does not receive an accreditation decision of “Accredited” on the renewal portion of that visit, then School-Age Accreditation will not be granted.
The date by which a program submits a School-Age Accreditation Request Form will determine the 6-month visit window during which the School-Age Accreditation Visit will occur. School-Age Accreditation Request Forms will be accepted on a rolling basis, so programs may submit the form at any time. Eligible programs will receive a visit according to the following schedule.
|School Age Accreditation Request Form Submission||Visit Window|
|January 31||February 1 - July 31|
|May 31||June 1 - November 30|
|September 30||October 1 - March 30|
Please note that if a violation of any required criterion were to be observed during the School-Age Accreditation visit, the NAEYC Academy would apply the Scope & Severity Screen in accordance with the Required Criteria Policy. This could result in the revocation of a program’s NAEYC Accreditation.
Term of School-Age Accreditation:
If a program earns School-Age Accreditation from NAEYC, that term of School-Age Accreditation will last for the remainder of the program’s current five-year term of NAEYC Accreditation of Programs for Young Children.
For example, if a program has been NAEYC-Accredited for two years before earning School-Age Accreditation, the term of School-Age Accreditation will be three years. If a program earns School-Age Accreditation and a new five year term of NAEYC Accreditation of Programs for Young Children, the term of School-Age Accreditation will be five years.