In 2003, NAEYC’s Governing Board established the Council for NAEYC Accreditation as an independent body to ensure the equity, integrity, and accountability of NAEYC Accreditation of Programs for Young Children.
The Council comprises nine members serving staggered three-year terms. The Council reports directly to the Board on its five responsibilities:
- Approve policies needed to govern the operations of the NAEYC Academy for Early Childhood Program Accreditation.
- Monitor and provide feedback on the operations of the NAEYC Academy using performance standards for accountability.
- Oversee accreditation decisions.
- Recommend to the Governing Board cooperative relationships with other systems that would advance the mission of NAEYC Accreditation of Programs for Young Children.
- Review all proposed revisions to NAEYC’s accreditation criteria for approval by the Governing Board.
NAEYC has a great opportunity for members to get involved and help shape the future of the early childhood profession, by applying to join the Council for NAEYC Accreditation. The application deadline is April 1, 2016. (http://www.naeyc.org/getinvolved)
Minutes from Council meetings are available upon written request to the NAEYC Academy. To request meeting minutes, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Speak directly with NAEYC Early Learning Program staff about the NAEYC Accreditation process, educational qualifications, groups, and much more by submitting a Consultation Request.