Poster sessions present a personal, educational experience for Conference attendees. They also pose special challenges to Presenters. Here are some tips that will help you prepare an effective display:
- The poster board surface area is approximately 4' high x 8' wide and made of a soft fabric with aluminum frames.
- Use thin poster paper or cardboard. Do NOT use heavy board, because it may be difficult to keep in position. It is recommended that you use Velcro tape or push pins to affix posters.
- Your display board will not be near electrical outlets, so please do not plan to use audiovisuals.
- Make your poster simple but visually stimulating. Make any pictures, charts, or graphs large enough to be seen from a distance of 5-10 feet.
- Stick to a limited number of main points on the poster. You can elaborate on these points on an individual basis.
- Handouts summarizing your main points are an excellent addition to a poster. You also may wish to add additional references and your contact information.
- Be prepared with a general outline of your findings or objectives; anticipate questions and prepare answers; and involve attendees by asking them questions (Have you experienced this? What did you do?).
- Poster sessions offer a unique opportunity to get to know the learners. Be ready with a greeting to each person who approaches the board. Handle each attendee on an individual basis. Get to know them and have fun.
- Note: Your specific poster board assignment can be found in the Conference Program. A digital copy of the Conference Program is available on our web site or a hard copy can be picked up on-site in the registration area of the Los Angeles Convention Center during registration hours.