Professional Development Definitions
The Early Childhood Education Professional Development: Training and Technical Assistance Glossary was developed by NAEYC and the National Association of Child Care Resource and Referral Agencies (NACCRRA) for those who provide professional development, state policy makers, early education advocates, and program administrators working to connect professional development activities and initiatives into an integrated system.
The Early Childhood Education Professional Development: Adult Education Glossary was jointly developed by NAEYC and the Alliance of Early Childhood Teacher Educators (National Association of Early Childhood Teacher Educators and ACCESS: Associate Degree Early Childhood Teacher Educators).
These glossaries are intended to serve as guides for states to adapt and adjust as needed to meet their specific needs in clarifying professional development roles and policies; assisting with determining and supporting the knowledge and capabilities of those providing professional development; and in data efforts to count and track all types of professional development. The definitions are also designed to provide common understandings, or starting points, for research and national or cross-state discussions.
Please note: Written permission is required to republish excerpts from or full text of the Early Childhood Education Professional Development Glossaries. Please send requests to email@example.com.
Code of Ethical Conduct Tool Kit
These resources provide professional development specialists with the tools to conduct sessions on understanding and using NAEYC’s Code of Ethical Conduct and Statement of Commitment.
- Code of Ethical Conduct PowerPoint Presentation, based on activities from the NAEYC publication, Teaching the NAEYC Code of Ethical Conduct.
- Applying the NAEYC Code, handout of situations with ethical dimensions for group problem solving.
- NAEYC Publications that Address Professional Ethics, a bibliography of NAEYC resources on ethics.
- Code of Ethical Conduct Videos
Free Webcast - Planning Transitions to Prevent Challenging Behavior
Based on the May 2008 Young Children article "Moving Right Along...Planning Transitions to Prevent Challenging Behavior," this webcast features authors Mary Louise Hemmeter and Michaelene M. Ostrosky. The webcast offers a discussion of why challenging behavior occurs during transitions and strategies for more effective transitions.
Common Core State Standards Initiative
NAEYC released a joint statement with the National Association of Early Childhood Specialist in State Departments of Education on the Common Core State Standards Initiative.
- Joint Statement
- Common Core State Standards Initiative
- NAEYC Position Statement on Early Learning Standards
- NAEYC Position Statement on Developmentally Appropriate Practice
- NAEYC Position Statement on Learning to Read and Write
- NAEYC Position Statement on Early Childhood Mathematics
- NAEYC Position Statement on Still Unacceptable Trends in Kindergarten Entry and Placement