NAEYC CHILDREN’S CHAMPIONS ALERT
FEBRUARY 25, 2013
THESE CUTS WON’T HEAL OUR ECONOMY;
THEY CREATE FURTHER DAMAGE
Call Your Members of Congress Today and Tomorrow
THE SEQUESTRATION/CUTS DEADLINE STARTS MARCH 1
As part of the Fiscal Cliff deal of January 1, Congress and the White House delayed putting the sequestration/cuts into effect until March 1. (View our glossary and more information on the Fiscal Cliff here.)
Starting March 1, automatic cuts of roughly 5% will be made to child care, Head Start, K-12 programs, WIC and other programs that support children’s healthy development and families’ security and stability, as well as K-12 education and other important programs.
These cuts will cause serious damage to children and families, as well as to the education workforce.Nationally, 70,000 children will lose Head Start and Early Head Start enrollment; 30,000 children will lose child care assistance; 600,000 children and mothers will lose WIC…and there’s so much more that’s necessary for children but that is currently on the chopping block.
See how these cuts impact children, families and educators in your state here.
1. CALL: Find the phone numbers of your 2 Senators and your Representative using just your zip code here.
- Sequestration is the wrong choice for our nation’s economic and societal health.
- Reducing the deficit should not further penalize basic needs of low- and moderate- income families and their children when there is still more revenue to raise fairly.
- These cuts set back children’s healthy development and learning.
3. Now call your other members of Congress with the same message. To email your members of Congress, click here and use the same messages as the call.
Join Our Children's Champions email list to receive regular updates and action alerts on important child and family issues being considered by Congress and the Administration.