NAEYC Children's Champions Alert: Senate Voting on Child Care
March 11, 2014
This week your two U.S. Senators will vote on S. 1086, a bipartisan sponsored bill to reauthorize the Child Care and Development Block Grant (CCDBG).
We need you to call/email your Senators: urge them to vote YES on CCDBG:
The Child Care and Development Block Grant is a critical component of state and local early childhood systems: it provides assistance to low-income families to afford child care so they can work or finish school; supports children’s learning; provides afterschool care for children up to age 13; and funds quality rating improvement systems, scholarships for professional development, resource and referral agencies, and infant/toddler quality improvements.
The last time Congress made changes to CCDBG was in 1996. Here’s what the new bill would do:
- Improve the health and safety of children in child care settings and require annual inspections;
- Provide training, not only in health and safety but also in children’s learning and development in all domains;
- Provide more consumer/family information about the availability of child care and child care quality; and
- Enable children to have more stable, consistent child care assistance.
- To find your Senators using your home zip code, go to www.naeyc.org/policy/action
- Click on each one and you will be directed to their phone number and email address
- If you call, when the staff answer the phone, say: "My name is ____ and I am a constituent. I work as an early childhood professional. I urge the Senator to vote 'Yes' on S. 1086 to reauthorize the Child Care and Development Block Grant. Thank you."
- Hang up and call your other Senator.
- To email, use the following message: I am an early childhood professional. Child care helps families work and children learn. Vote YES on S. 1086 to reauthorize the Child Care and Development Block Grant.
Joining the Tweet Storm
Beginning today through the rest of the week, help get the word out on Twitter using the hashtag #Care4Kids. Be sure to thank the leaders on the bill whose handles are in the last sample tweet. Here are a few sample tweets you can use:
- Strengthening child care is a smart investment for kids & the economy. Let's pass bipartisan #Care4Kids bill today!
- Helping working families get quality child care can make all the difference. RT if you support #Care4Kids.
- A strong investment in affordable, quality child care will help more than 1.5 million children. Time to #Care4Kids.
- RT to thank @SenatorHarkin, @SenatorBarb, @SenAlexander, @SenatorBurr for their bill to support high-quality, affordable #Care4Kids.