School-Age Accreditation Option
You are here
NAEYC-accredited programs may choose to pursue accreditation for the school-age components of their programs. This is a pilot program, and participation is voluntary.
Participants in the pilot program will receive a planned and scheduled accreditation visit involving observational assessment only, and assessment only of eligible school-age classes. Programs may start the process for accreditation of their school-age components at any time by filling out the School Age request form. Programs approaching accreditation renewal may simultaneously pursue school-age accreditation during the renewal process.
School-Age Accreditation Requirements
- Only currently NAEYC-accredited programs can participant in the pilot
- Programs must have one or more classes that serve school-age children, and:
- These classes operate before and/or after school
- The majority of the children are age 8 or younger
- Programs continue to meet current NAEYC Early Learning Program Standards and Criteria
- Programs continue to meet all required criteria
Tasks for programs
- Choose a form submission date as outlined in the chart below
- Complete and submit the school-age accreditation request form and applicable fee to receive a visit
Things to know
- School-age classes within a program are randomly selected for observation during the site visit; if a program has multiple classes, not all will be observed.
- Observations are conducted using only the universal criteria and a subset of the kindergarten criteria
- Classes must meet at least 70 percent of the criteria assessed
- If any violations of required criteria are observed, the scope and severity decision policy will be applied, which could result in the revocation of the entire program's accreditation
Scheduling of the school-age accreditation visits are based on the date NAEYC receives the school-age request form, as outlined in the following table:
Form Submission Date
Site Visit Timeline
February 1—July 31
June 1—November 30
October 31—March 30
Term of Accreditation
When a school-age component earns accreditation, it assumes the valid until date the currently accredited program already has in place.
School Age Accreditation Request Form
Infant Sleep Equipment Protocol
Additional Copies of Group Information
Accreditation Visit With School Age Component Administrator Information Packet
School Age Accreditation Administrator Information Packet
Observable Criteria Tool: School Age
Initial School Age Accreditation Pre-Visit Protocol
Classroom Portfolio Tool: School Age
School Age Accreditation Visit Protocol
Classroom Portfolio Labels: School Age
Accreditation Visit with School Age Accreditation: Pre-Visit Protocol
Need help with accreditation?
Speak directly with NAEYC Early Learning Program staff about the NAEYC Accreditation process, educational qualifications, classes, and much more by contacting us at 1-800-424-2460, option 3.