You are here
Home / Poster Sessions
Poster sessions present a personal, educational experience for Conference attendees. They also pose special challenges to Presenters. Here are some tips that will help you prepare an effective display:
Some tips to work with:
- Audiovisuals will not be provided for Poster and Research Poster presentations, and your display board will not be near electrical outlets. Please do not plan to use audiovisuals.
- The poster boards are 4’ x 6’ with a usable area of 5’6”W x 3’H (Horizontal only).
- Use thin poster paper or cardboard. Do NOT use heavy board, because it may be difficult to keep in position. It is recommended that you use Velcro tape or push pins to affix posters.
- Make your poster simple but visually stimulating. Make any pictures, charts, or graphs large enough to be seen from a distance of 5-10 feet.
- Stick to a limited number of main points on the poster. You can elaborate on these points on an individual basis.
- Handouts summarizing your main points are an excellent addition to a poster. You also may wish to add additional references and your contact information.
- Be prepared with a general outline of your findings or objectives; anticipate questions and prepare answers; and involve attendees by asking them questions (Have you experienced this? What did you do?).
- Poster sessions offer a unique opportunity to get to know the learners. Be ready with a greeting to each person who approaches the board. Handle each attendee on an individual basis. Get to know them and have fun.
- Note: Your specific poster board assignment can be found in the Conference Program. A digital copy of the Conference Program will be made available on our web site in October, or a hard copy can be picked up on-site in the registration area of the Walter E. Washington Convention Center during registration hours.