Five Ideas to Encourage Learning This Summer
School may be out for the summer, but there are still lots of opportunities for young children to play and learn! Here are five ideas:
- Take your child to a live performance - Family friendly events are a great way to teach your child about the performing arts. Try these tips to help young children prepare for the experience.
- Read books about warm weather fun -These stories focus on playing outdoors, visiting relatives, and cooling off in the water. Read a story then try one of the suggested activities with your child! (And before heading to the parks and playgrounds for outdoor play, be sure to review these sun safety tips to keep young children protected!)
- Turn any walk into a nature walk - Use time outdoors with young children to help them learn about the natural world. Explore your neighborhood, observe the weather, examine plants, flowers, and more!
- Visit museums and libraries in your town - Find low-cost or no-cost local attractions to visit with young children (zoos, botanical gardens, libraries, and aquariums - to name a few) to assist in their summer learning adventures.
- Create mini-learning centers at home - Use these ideas to fill boxes with materials and props related to a topic to give children a hands-on way to learn!
How will your child play and learn this summer?
Georgi-Ann Clarke is the Digital Content Manager at NAEYC.