About Position Statements
You are here
NAEYC Position Statements are used by the Governing Board to state the Association's position on issues related to early childhood education practice, policy, and/or professional development for which there are controversial or critical opinions. Position statements are developed through a consensus-building approach that seeks to convene diverse perspectives and areas of expertise related to the issue and provide opportunities for members and others to provide input and feedback.
In developing and disseminating position statements, NAEYC aims to
- take informed positions on significant, controversial issues affecting young children’s education and development;
- promote broad-based dialogue on these issues, within and beyond the early childhood field;
- create a shared language and evidence-based frame of reference so that practitioners, decision makers, and families may talk together about key issues in early childhood education;
- influence public policies;
- stimulate investments needed to create accessible, affordable, high-quality learning environments and professional development; and
- build more satisfying experiences and better educational and developmental outcomes for all young children.
All position statements can be downloaded free of charge. Some position statements are available in a specialized format, such as a 2-page summary (called “Where We Stand”), a slightly longer Executive Summary, a fuller version with expanded resources and references, or in Spanish. Where We Stand summaries are also listed at the bottom of this page.
Please note: Written permission is required to republish excerpts from or full text of NAEYC position statements. Please send requests to [email protected].
Written permission is not required for photocopying of NAEYC position statements, supplements, executive summaries, or Where We Stand summaries. All copies must be distributed for free and include a credit line indicating that the National Association for the Education of Young Children holds the copyright for the material.