Position statements are an important tool that NAEYC uses to build understanding and support for significant, often controversial issues related to early childhood education. They are reflected in our strategic direction as a part of our commitment to leadership and innovation—“NAEYC serves as a catalyst and consensus builder for complex and controversial issues to generate new knowledge and understanding.”
Based on current evidence from research, theory, and practice, NAEYC position statements are developed through a consensus-building approach. Typically informed by a workgroup of subject matter experts, the development or revision process includes multiple opportunities for member input and feedback.
All position statements can be downloaded free of charge. Written permission is required to republish excerpts from or full text of NAEYC position statements. Learn more.
Three position statements are under active development and/or revision:
- NEW! Advancing Equity in Early Childhood Education
- REVISION: Professional Standards and Competencies for Early Childhood Educators
- REVISION: Developmentally Appropriate Practice
Watch this space for draft statements for your review! For questions and to learn more, email email@example.com.
Curriculum, Assessment, and Program Evaluation
- Curriculum, Assessment, and Program Evaluation Position Statement
- Position Statement with Expanded Resources
Supplement on Assessing Young English Language Learners
- La evaluación y clasificación de niños que aprenden el inglès
- Supplement with Expanded Resources
- Nuestra posición