Language Ambassador Program
You are here
Language Ambassador Program
Make an impact on early childhood education and development all over the world, by using your professional expertise to share best practices in other languages!
NAEYC’s Global Engagement department oversees the adaptation of NAEYC content into different languages, currently Spanish, Chinese and Arabic. In order to grow our library of translated materials, we often rely on the help of volunteers - known as Language Ambassadors - fluent in their respective language and with a strong background in Early Childhood Education and Development. We invite, in particular, those with an educational background in ECE, paraprofessionals and experts fluent in the target language to translate, review, and proofread.
NAEYC and Global Engagement
The department of Global Engagement works with governments and other large-scale systems to create guidelines to support early learning, as well as to support early childhood professionals throughout the world by adapting NAEYC’s resources, content, and expertise to offer culturally appropriate packages that support high-quality early learning.
Our goal for our international work is to engage with the global early childhood development community to strengthen international early childhood systems as a strategy to improve the quality of early care and education for all children. As we embark on our international work we hold in mind two guiding principles: We must be sensitive to the nuances of varying contexts as we collaborate with our international partners to ensure that our global reach is culturally appropriate. At the same time we must also maintain the integrity of NAEYC’s core principles - that all young children should have access to safe, quality, developmentally appropriate learning environments.
Make an Impact
Further NAEYC’s mission of promoting high-quality early learning for all children, birth through age 8, by connecting practice, policy, and research.
Support the knowledge-base of a diverse and dynamic early childhood workforce internationally.
Make resources accessible to equip early childhood educators, administrators, families, and community leaders in other countries with best practices for young children in their own languages.
Build relationships and create professional contacts by working with language volunteers from all over the world.
- Build on individual knowledge of early childhood education, capacity building, large-scale assessment and development systems, international diplomacy and business through translating resources in these topic areas
- Diversify and strengthen translation skills specific to early childhood
- Contribute to the valuable work of a leading membership organization in early childhood education
- Recognition by listing this volunteer experience on your resume and professional social media profiles. Language Ambassadors receive a NAEYC digital badge recognizing your service to NAEYC
- Opportunity to participate in continued professional development in the field
- Access to experts and leaders in the early childhood community
Language Ambassadors generally commit to 1 year of service with the program. However, we encourage Language Ambassadors to continue beyond this timeframe.
- Read through original material and rewrite it in the target language;
- Use specialist dictionaries, thesauruses and reference books to find the closest equivalents for terminology and words used;
- Properly transmit cultural references, including slang, and other expressions that do not translate literally;
- Liaise with NAEYC staff to discuss any unclear points;
- Proofread and edit translated versions to ensure that they are accurate and consistent in language and meaning;
- Provide NAEYC with a grammatically correct, well-expressed final version of the translated text;
- Compile terminology and information to be used in translations into language glossary, including technical or preferred terms such as those for legal materials.
Language Ambassadors may be asked to
- Supply subtitles for NAEYC videos and other multimedia resources;
- Listen to speaker's statements in order to determine meanings and to prepare translations;
- Provide simultaneous interpretation during meetings between NAEYC staff and foreign affiliates;
- Accompany foreign visitors or NAEYC staff and facilitate communication between receiving party and visitors.
- Be 18 years or older
- Be willing to make at least a 1 year commitment
- Professional or native English proficiency
- Professional or native proficiency in a language other than English
- Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education, Foreign Language, International Affairs, Human Development or a related field (or equivalent work experience)
- Quality-driven work ethic
- Ability to work to deadlines
- IT skills and access (use of email, Google Docs, Adobe Acrobat and Preview)
Additional Skills Desired:
- Master’s degree or higher in Early Childhood Education, Foreign Language, International Affairs, Human Development or a related field (or equivalent work experience)
- Language-translation certification
- Professional translation experience
- NAEYC membership
1st Round: Submit application via Survey Monkey
2nd Round: Submit writing samples
3rd Round: Participate in a phone interview with Global Engagement Coordinator
Join us! Complete the Language Ambassador application by clicking here.
Please be sure to contact NAEYC's Global Engagement department with any questions or concerns at email@example.com.