Language Ambassador Program
You are here
Language Ambassador Program
NAEYC regularly needs to translate materials and resources. Due to the technical nature of our content, it would be beneficial to have an ECE student, paraprofessional or expert who is fluent in the target language provide our translations, second readings and proof-readings, so as to ensure meaning has been retained. We are seeking dual-language volunteers - to be known as Language Ambassadors - to bolster NAEYC's global work and ensure that ECE programs and professionals worldwide - and across the U.S. - have access to NAEYC’s world-renowned resources, content and expertise.
NAEYC and Global Engagement
The department of Global Engagement works with governments and other large-scale systems to create guidelines to support early learning, as well as to support early childhood professionals throughout the world by adapting NAEYC’s resources, content, and expertise to offer culturally appropriate packages that support high-quality early learning.
Our goal for our international work is to engage with the global early childhood development community to strengthen international early childhood systems as a strategy to improve the quality of early care and education for all children. As we embark on our international work we hold in mind two guiding principles: We must be sensitive to the nuances of varying contexts as we collaborate with our international partners to ensure that our global reach is culturally appropriate. At the same time we must also maintain the integrity of NAEYC’s core principles - that all young children should have access to safe, quality, developmentally appropriate learning environments.
- Read through original material and rewrite it in the target language;
- Use specialist dictionaries, thesauruses and reference books to find the closest equivalents for terminology and words used;
- Properly transmit cultural references, including slang, and other expressions that do not translate literally;
- Liaising with NAEYC staff to discuss any unclear points;
- Proofreading and editing final translated versions to ensure that they are accurate and consistent;
- Providing NAEYC with a grammatically correct, well-expressed final version of the translated text;
- Compile terminology and information to be used in translations into language glossary, including technical or preferred terms such as those for legal materials.
Depending on the Global Engagement department's need, Ambassadors may be asked to:
- Supply subtitles for NAEYC videos and other multi-media resources;
- Listen to speaker's statements in order to determine meanings and to prepare translations;
- Provide simultaneous interpretation during meetings between NAEYC staff and foreign affiliates;
- Accompany foreign visitors or NAEYC staff and facilitate communication between receiving party and visitors.
- Be 18 years or older
- Be willing to make at least a 6-month commitment
- Professional or native English proficiency
- Professional or native proficiency in a language other than (but in addition to) English
- Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education, Foreign Language, International Affairs, Human Development or a related field (or equivalent work experience)
- Quality-driven work ethic
- Ability to work to deadlines
- IT skills and access (use of email, Google Docs, Adobe Acrobat and Preview)
Additional skills desired
- Master’s degree or higher in Early Childhood Education, Foreign Language, International Affairs, Human Development or a related field (or equivalent work experience)
- Language-translation certification
- Professional translation experience
- NAEYC membership
What Ambassadors will get out of the experience:
- Diversify and strengthen translation skills;
- Build resume by working for the education industry’s leading membership organization;
- Build relationships and create professional contacts by working with language volunteers from all over the world;
- Exposure to materials relating to: early childhood education, capacity building, large-scale assessment and development systems, international diplomacy and business
1st Round: Submit application via Survey Monkey.
2nd Round: Submit writing samples
3rd Round: Participate in a phone interview with Global Engagement Coordinator
Interested? The next step is to complete the Language Ambassador application.
Click here to contact NAEYC's Global Engagement department with any questions or concerns.